Monday, May 21, 2012

A simple tradition

Our last day of  "school" will be this Friday.   I feel like we just started our home school  journey, and we are already wrapping up our 4th year!  Our family has been so blessed with the gift of homeschooling.  I love that my girls are learning together, with me, side-by-side, day after day.  Love it!  Is it always easy?  No.  Does it always go smoothly?  No.  Am I able to keep up with my housework as much as I want?  No.   Is it worth every hard, rough, messy day we've had?  Yes!  

We will be celebrating our last day of school with, are you ready for this, root beer floats!  I started this "tradition", not knowing it would become a tradition, on my oldest daughters last day of Kindergarten.  I just happened to buy stuff to have root beer floats to celebrate her last day of school.  Then, as her last day of first grade was approaching, she asked me if I had the ice cream and root beer ready.  That is how our tradition started, and continues to this day.  I love how excited they get for this very simple treat.  They started talking about it at least a month ago.  I have the ice cream and root beer bought and now we are waiting for the last day of school, to enjoy our very simple treat!  What do you do to celebrate the last day of school?  What family traditions, no matter how simple, have you started for your family?

4 comments:

~katie~ said...

Congratulations on completing your 4th homeschooling year!!!! I know what you mean ~ it seems like we just began our journey too. Time really does pass so quickly.

Root beer floats = YUM!! Fun and simple tradition ~ love it.

A simple tradition we started way back with phonics with our first child was to be treated to ice cream and a new book after each completed level of reading/phonics. We have begun this tradition with our second child this year ~ fun!

SO good to read your lovely words in the blogosphere!

Blessings upon a wonderful summer ahead~
Katie

Stephanie said...

Katie, love your tradition of ice cream and a new book with reading/phonics. How Fun!!!

Monica said...

I love that tradition!!! One of ours is on the first day of school, we usually have a special breakfast. I'm hoping to make some more traditions next year. Your so right time goes way to fast. Enjoy your root beer floats!!!

Dianna said...

At Emma's birthday party, I saw the excitement in your girl's eyes when I asked if they had done anything special the last day of school, and as they excitedly told me, I chimed in as I knew what they would say -- "Root Beer Floats". I've thought many times what simple, yet so meaningful, traditions you are making; It doesn't take big expensive things to please children in a huge way. Love, Mom