Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Wait till they're teenagers!

It's been awhile since I posted but I wanted to continue with another comment we receive on a regular basis.  We often hear from the cashiers at stores, as well as other places, "Oh, four girls huh, just wait till they're teenagers!"  After hearing this comment many, many times, I went to some valued resources: the moms and dads at my church who have teenage girls.

The teenage girls at our church (there are about 12 between 5 families) seemed to me to be such precious girls.  They are so respectful, calling adults by Mr. or Mrs., they dress modestly, they are so helpful with the younger children, they still hold  their parents hands, they put their arms around their siblings during church, and when we've had some of these young ladies over for meals, they helped clear the table and clean up - without being asked.  I had to ask these parents if the teenage years are as bad as so many strangers keep telling me.  I was so encouraged after talking to these parents.  They reassured me that their teenage daughters really are precious young ladies.   I asked them how they raised their children and I received much helpful advice.  The most important thing, of course, is to pray for our children daily and to seek God for guidance on everything.  Our children are a gift from God and I need to remember He loves them even more than me, I need to go to Him with every detail in their life.  I need to place them in His hands on a daily (hourly!) basis!

These parents also encouraged me with many other things that have helped them to raise these godly young ladies.  They suggested monitoring what my children watch and read, how they dress, who they are friends with, and what they are being taught.  My husband and I do monitor what our children watch.  We really don't have make time for TV at our house, except on either Friday or Saturday night when we watch a family movie.  I also let them watch a "Little House" show during lunch on Fridays -- just a special treat for getting our school week done.  We also watch videos if the kids are sick.  We mostly just do movies/videos so they aren't seeing commercials which are usually either scarry or the women are not dressed modestly at all.   We also monitor what books they are reading.  If they want to read a book we don't know anything about my husband will read it first until he decides if it's appropriate or not.  It's amazing, and sad, how a lot of books slip in things about evolution or other gods or how they take God's name in vain with the slang talk.  We also have some trusted book lists in our homeschool resources that help us out tremendously. 

The teenage girls at our church, and Mary and Laura on "Little House"!!!, have been such great role models in how my girls like to dress.  We are training our girls what it means to dress modestly.  This really is hard in the society we live in today.  It is such a blessing to have teenagers who dress modestly around my girls on a weekly basis.  My girls look up to them so much.  I also try to dress modestly but I'm still learning in this area too. 

We also monitor who our girls are friends with and what they are being taught.  This is easier for us since we home school our children and I'm with them almost all the time.  When the neighborhood kids want to play with our girls, we have them play in our yard.   It is such a blessing to be my girls' teacher and to be with them almost all the time. 

My husband and I aren't deceived thinking the teenage years will be easy.  Training our children isn't easy, but  very hard work.  Girls are full of emotions -- I am aware of that being a girl myself (and a pregnant one at that!)!!!  I am so thankful for these moms and dads of teenagers at my church who have blessed me so much with their advice and encouragement.  They will continue to be a rich resource for me in regards to raising my children. 

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing."
~ 1 Thessalonians 5:11

3 comments:

~katie~ said...

What a blessing when God surrounds us with like-minded friends to support and encourage us! Love this post, Stephanie! :)

Also, a couple of weeks ago we were out at a food court and a lady said to me ~ "Wow, you have your hands full!" I just smiled and said "Yes, I do!" This made me think of your previous post ~ and how thankful I am that my hands are full! =)

Have a great week!
Katie

Stephanie said...

It is such a blessing to be surrounded by like-minded friends! And even though you've moved many, many miles away it's so nice to stay in touch with like-minded friends!!!

Enjoy your week Katie!

Stephanie

Monica said...

Loved your post!! So encouranging!!
We seem to go through that with books, A book is picked out with this cool picture and upon reading more, its not a good choice.