Sunday, May 1, 2011

You have your hands full!

I have always been a people pleaser.  I want to "fit in" with the crowd and not stand out as being "different."  I don't want to be the "weird" one!  Well, ever since I became the mom of four children, I don't seem to "fit in" anymore.  It is very rare that I can go to a public place with my children: at the library, store, restaurant, clinic, without getting a comment.  They have mostly been fun and light-hearted, but some have been sad.  The way some people view children as a burden is heart-breaking.  There have been comments that have brought a tear to my eye, and that I've had to explain to my children why someone would say that.  Anyhow, I thought it would be fun to do some posts on the light-hearted comments I get on a weekly basis. 

I'll start with the comment I get most often.  "You have your hands full!"  Ummm, yep, can't argue with that.  Could you get the door for me?   I have my baby in the carrier, I'm pushing the cart/stroller with my toddler in it, and I have my two young girls walking beside me, sometimes holding the hand that isn't pushing the cart/stroller.  Literally, my hands are full!!!  Most importantly, however, is that my hands are full of the BLESSINGS GOD HAS GIVEN TO ME. 

I respond differently to this comment depending on the day and how many times I've heard this:)  Sometimes I simply smile, sometimes I say "they are so much fun," and sometimes I say "I'm sure blessed."  I always try to be pleasant, no matter how the comment was said to me.  I want my children to know that it is a blessing to have full hands.  That I wouldn't have it any other way.  I am so thankful that God has given me full hands!


"For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please Man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ."  ~ Galatians 1:10

2 comments:

~katie~ said...

What a great post, Stephanie! Yes, children are such a gift ~ and ~ an opportunity to share God's amazing love with others! =) I love how you approach this and how you have such a graceful answer to what could be an awkward situation. What a living picture of Colossians 4:6!

Thanks for encouraging me as a mother to cherish my gifts!
Katie

*James 1:17*

Monica said...

I love your response to the comments. I was just feeling this weekend that I don't fit in to a particular situation. I wish more people would see children as blessings. I love the verse at the end, I think I need to read that more.
Thank You my friend.