Thursday, April 21, 2011

Failed Plans

I am a planner.  I'm not a spur of the moment "let's do this" type of girl.  I plan out a weekly menu (except during these first months of pregnancy when the thought of food makes me want to .... well you understand!), I do weekly lesson plans for school, I even have a schedule with what chores get done on what day (although this has taken a back seat during these not feeling so good pregnancy days!).  So, other than the "survival mode" I'm in during the beginning of pregnancy, I like my planned days and I don't want anything to mess them up.  God is teaching me that my plans are not always HIS plans.  He taught me this in a very big, difficult way last week.

In my last post I wrote about my plans for our homeschool conference getaway.  What I wasn't planning for was one of my children waking up sick the morning we were suppose to leave.  Bright and early on Thursday morning I woke up to "my tummy hurts, mommy."  At first I thought, "Oh, you're just excited about going to Grandma and Grandpa's."  NOPE ... I was wrong ... she was sick!!!  I was crushed.  I struggle so much when my children are sick.  It has by far been my hardest struggle as a mom.  I can't stand it.  I feel so bad for them and yes, to the surprise of many, I worry.  I also was heartbroken that the weekend plans my hubby and I had been counting down to for so many weeks (since January) were thrown out the window.  I was so sad (my husband and mom can attest to this!).

I prayed that God would help me through this time, and of course HE did.  He even gave me some glimpses of what good can come out of something bad.  First of all, the love and support of my husband was amazing.  He kept things in perspective and had lots of encouraging words throughout the weekend.  He also was brave enough to take our sick child to the clinic, bucket in hands and all, as she had the constant feeling of needing that bucket for hours and hours and hours (did I mention for hours!).   The poor girl was sick!!!  He ran to the store for popsicles, soup, applesauce, and all those other "must haves."  Secondly, my oldest child was very sympathetic with her sister and never laid any blame on her for "messing" up the weekend plans.  She was very sad but very understanding.  She also was quick to color some pictures and write a get well note to her sister.  Very sweet.  Finally, my mom was so willing to help out, sick kid and all.  My husband and I decided we couldn't leave our sick child, but my mom had offered to still care for the children so we could go.  Amazing!  There's not too many people who are willing to jump at the chance to care for sick children.  My mom taught me a lot through her example last weekend.

My daughter felt much better on Friday afternoon ... Praise the Lord!  My mom came up Friday evening.  My husband and I left at 5a.m. Saturday morning, drove 3 hours, attended one day of the homeschool conference, and drove home the same night.  It was a long day but it was a blessing to be able to attend at all.  We didn't get our three nights in a hotel, we didn't get to eat many meals out, we didn't have a lot of relaxing time to talk, but we did enjoy the one day we had.   I will always be a planner, but I am trying to hold loosely to my plans and trust HIS plans for me!

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."  ~Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: