So this is our last "official" week of school for this school year. We (especially me!) are trying to stay focused this week and finish up all of our school work. The countdown is on ... today in Math my oldest child realized she only has 4 pages of math work left to finish her book. The past couple of years we were "done" with school by Memorial Day Weekend, but this year we couldn't quite finish everything up by than. I ended up taking some time off when we had a death in the family, and also when some of us were sick, so our new ending date is June 3rd. Anyhow, we have enjoyed school so much this year, and we loved the curriculum we used (http://www.mfwbooks.com/). The girls have had a good year and I so much enjoy being their teacher. It is a lot of work, but so rewarding. I am so thankful we have the freedom to home school our children. What a GIFT!!!!
This summer we will be doing a lot of "real life" learning through our gardening, planting, and caring for "our" birds. The girls (all except my littlest one) and I planted our garden yesterday and now we anxiously await for growth. The girls are excited about helping to care for it this summer ... although I know the weed pulling will get old for all of us:) We all enjoy birds in our family and we are constantly filling the feeders (seriously, I'm amazed how fast the birds are going through the suet cakes!). We have had so much fun watching some baby robins close up. They nested on the ground under a rock climbing wall on our swing set, so we literally have been able to watch every step of the hatching process. We will continue to study birds throughout the summer ... the girls have enjoyed that so much in school.
I enjoy the structure and scheduling of my school days, but I'm also looking forward to the free-time we'll have this summer. I know it will go fast. We will be starting our first day of school on August 1st this year, so we'll only be off June and July. That will be plenty. I'm always excited to start a new school year and see what God has in store for us. I have my curriculum for next year already, and I am already looking forward to digging into it. But for now (well, in 3 days!), it's time for a break. A time for refreshment. A time for enjoying summer: playing outside, working outside, running through sprinklers, going to the park, the library summer reading program, root beer floats, just enjoying each day and each other!!!
"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven." ~Ecclesiastes 3:1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Have a fun summer full of blessings!! =) We are not quite finished with our homeschool year yet...with the move and all the travels, we've had a bit of catch-up to do...but I'm ok with that. =) We start swimming lessons next week, and hopefully will wrap school up the following week. We plan to start next schoolyear the 1st of August as well in hopes we'll be done by Memorial Day next year. We'll see! Glad you like MFW...I like so many curricula..it's hard for me to settle on one!
Take care and blessings to you and all of your gifts!
Katie
Hope your last week of school went well!!! We accomplished alot this week, but won't be done until the end of June. Your garden sounds great!!
Post a Comment